It's almost here, the big day where the rubber meets the road, literally! Tomorrow, Oct. 17th, is the day of my race, the Indianapolis Marathon. My goal for running the marathon was one-thirty...pounds. I wanted to loose all the baby weight and that's why I was running a marathon. Now I'm faced with the reality that I reached 130lbs over 3 months ago and am now wondering why I'm going to willingly put myself through the pains of a marathon. I'm terrified. The furthest I've run is 22 miles and it hurt. I realized the first time I ran 20 miles that my expectation of training so well that running 26.2 miles wouldn't hurt was a delusion. Here's the reality: no matter how hard you train 26.2 miles will hurt. Yikes. However, I found this quote while I was training that really had inspired me, "But there's something more, something deep, something that drives each of you toward a finish line that only you can see." I have so much driving me to the finish line tomorrow, personal strength, a "no-quitting" attitude, training, family support, my baby Mark, and supportive friends. I will use all these inner strengths to get me through the marathon tomorrow. And I'm excited for the AMAZING sense of accomplishment I'll feel for setting a goal and finishing it. This has been a big goal and a dream I've had for many years and I'm excited to get to that finish line tomorrow. During the months of training I have a new goal for tomorrow, finish vertical. I now ask for your thoughts and prayers for me tomorrow as I'm running. Here's the breakdown of my marathon tomorrow so you can think of me as I'm running (keep in mind that this is east coast time!):
8:30ET (7:30 CT)-about the time most of you will either still be in bed or just waking up is when I'll be starting my race
9:30ET-you'll be enjoying a yummy breakfast and I'll be 6 miles into my run. This should be the most enjoyable part of the run for me, right now running 6 miles is a piece of cake.
10:40ET-As you think about all the errands you have to run and the chores you need to do, think of me about halfway done! I will just be finishing 13 miles with 13.2 miles to go. Pray that I'm still feeling strong and that my attitude is still positive.
12:00ET-You'll be thinking about lunch and I'll have 6 miles left to run. I will be in a lot of pain at this point and I will be fighting the urge to quit. But don't worry, from this point on it will be a mental race and I'm well trained to keep enduring. As I used to say in high school cross country, "Quinns don't Quit!" (that's my maiden name). And you can bet I'll be saying that at this time tomorrow!
12:30ET-I have only a 5K left, 3.1 miles!
1:00-2:00ET-I'm done! Yeah!!!! I rock!!!!
So think and pray for me tomorrow. And we'll see if this is the last marathon I run or if I love it so much that I can't wait to do it again.
7 comments:
Good luck Katie! You're amazing and you can do it!!!
I am so excited for you; you can do it! You'll do great! I am totally impressed with you, by the way!
Good Luck!! You'll do great and finish vertical! Can't wait for the post-marathon post. :)
Hooray for Katie! This is what I'll be doing tomorrow:
8:30(ET)--Thinking of You starting your race
9:30--Hoping that Dave and Evan are still with you
10:40--Wondering if Evan stuck with the "first 13 miles" rule in order to pace himself
12:00--Fixing lunch...and deciding it better be extra big and perhaps an extra dessert--for Katie's sake!
12:30--Realizing you only have a 5K left, and try to convince myself that I should go out jogging
1:00--Being grateful for the warmth of my house, I wonder why I didn't go jogging, and sit on my couch accepting that you are a better woman than I :)
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!! RUN LIKE A GIRL!
Katie!!! I am so excited for you. Obviously, we want to hear about it when you are done. A marathon is a huge accomplishment. One that I have for my own life. (Mary Baker)
Good Luck Katie!! You'll rock the race. :) You're my hero!
9:30 ET--THINKING OF YOU!!!!!
Post a Comment