There's no accurate word to describe all the emotions and feelings I had during and after my marathon on Saturday. It was a unique experience that no other sport or physical activity I've done was able to prepare me for. While I ran I was consumed by the total intensity on both my physical body and my mind. I hit walls! The first "wall" I hit was at mile 16 when I could see the leaders of the marathon heading into their final stretch (miles 14-24 was a big circle where you could be at mile 16 and someone next to you could be at mile 24). I so much wished I could run with them and be done with the marathon and it was intimidating and scary to think at that point I still had 10.2 miles to go! The next wall I hit was at mile 20, my dad had promised to meet me at mile 20 and run the last 6 miles with me. When I got to mile 20 he wasn't there, and for a moment the exhaustion overcame me and I told Dave, "that's it, he's not here, he's going to have to come get me because I'm not running another step without him." Luckily, Dave was able to convince me that he was close by and that the more I ran, the closer I was to finishing--this may seem like common sense, however, after running 20 miles that logic seemed debatable. Happily I was able to continue running and saw my dad at mile 21. That was a huge boost for me and seemed to give me new found hope that I truly was almost done with the marathon, which up to that point I had resigned myself to running forever. The last five miles of the marathon are a blur of pain and mental strain as I pushed forward. I kept running, even though it hurt, and was able to finally finish the race. It's amazing how my mind and body transformed when I saw the finish line, all the pain and fatigue seemed to melt away when I saw the end of my race. It was a good feeling (good is an understatement). I finished at 4:41. And feel so good to have accomplished that goal. It was hard, but it was worth it, and I encourage everyone who thinks about running a marathon to do it! Here's why:
Top Ten Reasons to Run a Marathon:
10.) It forces you to consistently work out.
9.) You'll loose your baby weight (or any unwanted weight)
8.) It's great to set a goal and achieve it
7.) You'll loose weight
6.) You'll get a runner's high that lasts for days (I'm still on it)
5.) You'll have the body you had before you got pregnant
4.)You realize your body is amazing
3.) You'll be able to eat anything and not gain weight
2.) You realize how strong your will power is and how when you set your mind to something you can do ANYTHING!
1.) You'll loose the baby weight! (I did!)
7 comments:
Wow, well done! You're amazing!
PHENOMENAL! I am so touched by your dad's thoughtfulness to run with you! What a HUGE strength that DEFINITELY is. If you run another one and Dad can't go with you...I'll train to run the last 6 with you. You are such an inspiration! I can't believe you ran for nearly 5 hours straight! AMAZING!
Congratulations! That is an incredible accomplishment!
Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more about it in person!
Yay! I am so proud of you! What an amazing journey, you are inspiring me to get off my lazy bum! truly incredible. I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks now!
*I can't believe you had just run 26 miles in that pic, your mascarra still looks great! haha.
Katie you're AMAZING! You are so inspiring! What a great job you did with your marathon! Congratulations!!
Hey--just wanted to say GOOD JOB on the marathon! What an impressive accomplishment--and a great time, too. Glad you found a way to lose the baby weight. :) And I'm sure you won't forget the experience anytime soon!
Post a Comment