Monday, October 1, 2012

Half Marathon

I have made a promise to myself that I will run a race for every child that I have.  For Mark I ran the Indianapolis Marathon.  For Caleb I ran the Chicago Half Marathon.

Saturday, June 9th.  Chicago.  Lake Shore Drive. Half Marathon. 
The morning started at 4:45 AM.  We left for the race at 5:00 AM.  The race was to begin at 7:00 AM. We live 30 minutes away from the city.  But Dave was worried we were going to be late. :)  There was a group of us all going to the race: Dave, myself, Rebecca and Evan Jones, Stacey Frost, Elaine and Hannah Quinn, Allan Wood, Dean Truehaf, and Ann Matthews.  

We all finished. Yay.  Our slogan for the day was "finish vertical".  It was EXTREMELY hot.  But such a fun race. 
 Hannah, Elaine (my mom), and Me


 Dave, Me, Stacey, Rebecca, Evan, and Stacey's two girls: Alexia and Jordan
Side note: Stacey, Rebecca and I all serve together in Relief Society.  They are awesome sisters that have become GREAT friends.  To celebrate our race, Stacey, Rebecca, and I went and got massages after.  It was AMAZING.
 pre-race photo: Evan, Rebecca, me, Dave, and Hannah
Ok, story about Dave.  Dave pushed himself so hard during the race that when he finished he litterally collapsed.  Medics had to take him to the medical tent and give him two iv's of fluids.  When I ran in (obviously after Dave had finished) I was concerned when I couldn't find him, since I knew he'd finish first.  It took me 40 minutes before I finally found him. Scared me to death.  I'm glad that once he got fluids he was healthy, but he KNOWS he cannot EVER allow his competitive nature to endanger his health again.

1 comment:

A Whole New You! said...

Wow guys! Way to go. There's a line in The Big Year where a mother and daughter or daughter in law are talking about the men and the Mother says, "They're men honey. If they don't compete, they die!" haha so true. Glad he knows his limits. But that's way awesome you did that!