Saturday, October 18, 2008

Baby Advice!

So I'm finally in my third trimester and I'm beginning the process of preparing for my bundle-of-joy to come in January. I need advice on good stroller, jogging stroller, and car seat brands. Also, I need advice about what types of strollers to get (jogging stroller, a stroller with a baby seat that can snap it, or one that does both). Last, what are some good and inexpensive places to buy baby furniture (crib, changing table, dresser, a rocking chair, etc...)? Any advice that my experienced friends and mothers can offer would be very helpful. Thanks everyone!

11 comments:

Kerri said...

Wow! I can't believe you are third trimester already! And you've just barely started to surrender to the Maternity clothes! You are incredible!

Stroller/Carseat:
1) Getting a travel system is a must so you don't have to wake a sleeping baby just to get in/out of the car...that would be a huge pain.
2) Get a light stroller! I'm in love with the Graco Metrolite vs. the regular Graco...it's more compact and significantly lighter and way sturdy. Compact is the way to go when you don't have a big car! And we can take it off roading, no problem. (helpful for when you're on a trail and all of a sudden you want to go see the ducks across the field)
3) Jogging stroller--I'd suggest waiting for spring so you could find one at a garage sale/napervilleyardsales.com/craigslist...otherwise, my friend has a Jeep one she got at Target for $80, it's really smooth, works great.

Those are my quick thoughts. I'm a fan of Graco for cost and reliability.

On a side note, I'm glad you have a new post! I was waiting anxiously!

JaNae said...

Congrats on making it past the first two trimesters! It seems like it has gone so fast (to me, but maybe not to you :) ).

We were pretty lucky to get most of our stuff second hand, but we did buy our stroller new, and I LOVE it. It's a peg perego aria. We found it online for a great deal. Also, something I didn't know is that a lot of strollers will allow different car seat brands to snap in. Our infant seat is a graco, and it snaps in fine to our stroller.

I don't know if you'd want it, but we do have an extra infant seat and base that we don't use. My sister-in-law passed it on to us. She didn't really like it; she thought it was too heavy. It's a peg-perego, and it is gray and black. No pressure, just let me know. We were just going to give it to Goodwill.

Good luck with the last three months!

Jess said...

Oh my goodness. You need to post some pictures. I can't believe you are already in your third trimester. What's your due date again? I would suggest getting on Mamasource.com and asking the women in your area specific questions. It has been a life saver to me many times. I do love my Graco travel system and use it every single day! Pretty much everything we have is second-hand, so I don't know much about new stuff, but we love craigslist and freecycle. Call me anytime! Miss you, Jess

Julie said...

We found you guys through Rob & Katie's blog. Congrats on the baby boy! The last time we saw you guys was your wedding. Hope everything is going great for you!
-Mort & Jew-

Lisa said...

Dave and Katie... it's Lisa Hong. I just found your blog off of B-rett and Kari's. Anyway, I am so excited you guys are doing so well, and having a baby boy! That is wonderful. Steve texted me telling me he was getting engaged, so your family has a ton of fun things going on right now!

mnhvance said...

Hi Dave! It's "Helga" or in case you actually remember my first name, Haleigh (Gustaveson) Vance. I'm so happy to find your blog and see your cute wife and to find out you are expecting a baby! Congrats! I just wanted to say hi! My family blog is www.mnhvance.blogspot.com. Good luck with your new little family!

lindsay said...

I definitely agree with Kerri. We have the same stroller and love it! Its been put through anything and everything and is still doing great.

W.W. said...

We're Graco fans as well. It's great to see your blog! I'll bet Grace and Jimmy are SO excited to meet your new little one! We hope to see them soon out here in AZ. Good luck!

W.W. said...

Oh yeah, we really liked the book, "Baby Bargains," for good quality baby stuff. It will help you to know what to look for at the store or second hand. Yard sales are GREAT!

The Lowe Family said...

Hey Katie,
So I do have some advice for you:
1. I have a BOB (Baby on Board) stroller and I love it. It is a jogging stroller and has a piece that you can clip on so you can click in your carseat. It is kind of expensive, but I think it has been worth every penny! When I first had Jonah I had a Cosco travel system and loved how easy it was to get Jonah in and out of the car. I wouldn't recommend the Cosco brand however. It got worn out pretty quick.
2. I would look at Target for baby furniture or Craigslist. I bet you could find some great stuff in your area.
good luck with the final three months, and could you send me your address so I can send a little baby gift?
Kristin

M said...

Hey Dave...Poop!